Ho‘ohana Hou (To Use Again) – 100% Reusable Bags
Since the 2014 Hawai‘i County plastic bag reduction ordinance*, we ask ourselves, what small steps can each of us take to better our environment? It’s simple: Ho‘ohana Hou, to use again.
We can start by eliminating our dependence on disposable (single-use) grocery bags. Paper and plastic grocery bags are equally harmful to the ‘aina; resulting in air pollution, deforestation, harm to our marine life and excessive litter. Each one of us can make a huge difference. In fact, over the course of our lifetimes, the use of reusable bags by just one person would eliminate 22,000 plastic bags.
Since January 17, 2014, all of our stores no longer offer single-use plastic bags at the checkout. Customers are charged a 5¢ fee (plus tax) for every large paper bag used.
To get your bag deposit back, simply bring your used plastic or paper bags back to the store and we issue a credit for every bag we re-use to pack your new purchases. You can also bring reusable bags, or even bags (paper or plastic) from other stores, and you will receive 3¢ credit for any small plastic bags (with handles) and 5¢ credit for every large plastic, paper, or reusable bags used to pack your purchases.
The small steps we take today to preserve our ‘aina will make a huge difference for generations to come. It’s important that we each do our part and make the transition to reusable bags. It’s the right thing to do. Please kokua by keeping your reusable bags at the top of your grocery list, in your trunk, and with you at the checkout line.
For more information on the single-use bag fee, see our Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ).
Our Other Environmental Initiatives
- Established KTA’s Reuse Grocery Bag Incentive Program many years ago to encourage the use of reusable bags by our customers.
- Created recycling centers at our stores for customers to bring in their used plastic bags for recycling.
- Established an internal recycling program at our stores. We currently recycle cardboard boxes, wooden pallets, cooking oils, paper, case wraps, pallet wraps and merchandise bale wraps.
- Learn about our efforts to reduce our dependency on fossil fuels through our renewable energy projects at our Kailua-Kona, Keauhou, Waimea, and Waikoloa Village locations.
- Reduced our carbon footprint through the use of carbon neutral printing.
- KTA Super Saver Coupon Books are printed using soy based inks, paper of which 90% was produced using renewable energy and fiber from legal North American sources; is chlorine-free and meets all ISO environmental and quality standards.
*For more information on the County of Hawai‘i Plastic Bag Reduction Ordinance, please visit the Department of Environmental Management’s website at www.hawaiizerowaste.org.